Saturday, March 10, 2012

Meditations Regarding the Debate on Going to Church vs. Having a Personal Relationship with Jesus Christ

Hello my good friends!
There has been a long debate between Christian brothers and sisters regarding the religious institution and fostering a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, our beloved Lord and Savior.
Many of our Christian brothers and sisters seem to find these two to be in opposition with one another, mainly arguing that attending Church is not nearly so important as nurturing one's personal spiritual relationship with Jesus. Others are of the opinion that attending Church alone is sufficient and that no additional spiritual acts are required in living out a Christian life.
The major discrepancy in both lines of thinking and the actual truth is this: both are not only important, but absolutely crucial to living an authentic Christian life.
One can attend church and pay no heed to the wisdom and grace one receives by doing so, and thereby contradict the very reason one attends church: to spend time with our Lord in the Word and the Flesh, and to grow in a relationship with him and with our fellow Christians, and to be transformed by this encounter with Christ's all-encompassing love. This transformation is designed to infect all aspects of our daily life, and to provide us with the grace, strength, and knowledge to proclaim the Gospel of Love in all that we do. 
It is this foundation in the Gospel that compels us to seek Christ on a personal level and have an individual, intimate relationship with him. This relationship is nurtured not only by our attendance and participation in church life, but by individual prayer, study of Scripture (which we must be vigilant to study and quote correctly and accurately; we cannot and must not consider the Old Testament apart from the New Testament, and must not consider any passage apart from the Gospel of Love; the entire Bible must be considered as a whole), and all-around dedication to Christ in both our internal and external lives.
Let us also remember that Christian fellowship is absolutely key to living the Gospel as Christ teaches us. Christ did not wander the earth alone; he had disciples (who were also his BFF's) with whom he traveled. Remember, when he saw Andrew and Simon fishing he said, 17
Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” (Mark 1:17). Jesus's ministry teaches us that love is not isolated; love is meant to be shared with others in fellowship and communion with Christ: "When the hour came, he took his place at table with the apostles. He said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer, for, I tell you, I shall not eat it [again] until there is fulfillment in the kingdom of God.” Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and said, “Take this and share it among yourselves; for I tell you [that] from this time on I shall not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me." And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you."" (Luke 22: 14-20). 
We can see from this that Jesus desires not only that each individual enter into communion with him, but that we ALL enter into communion with him, and consequently, with one another: "As a body is one though it has many parts, and all the parts of the body, though many, are one body, so also Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free persons, and we were all given to drink of one Spirit." (1Corinthians 12:12). This truth especially bears fruit in the body of the Church. Also remember that Jesus said, "Again, [amen,] I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18: 19-20).
Finally, for those who say that attending church is meaningless, or hypocrisy, as the most important aspect is that we have an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ, please tell me what could possibly be more intimate than becoming one flesh with Christ in the Real Presence of the Eucharist which we receive at mass (which, incidentally, is held in a church).  "While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, “Take and eat; this IS my body.” (Matthew 26: 26). Granted, I'm by no means a theologian, but faith tells me that Jesus meant what he said. In the effort of seeking a personal, intimate relationship with Christ, why wouldn't I go to mass (again, held in a CHURCH building) and become ONE with Him and the members of the Church in Holy COMMUNION?!

"O God, you are my God—
it is you I seek!
For you my body yearns;
for you my soul thirsts,
In a land parched, lifeless,
and without water.
I look to you in the sanctuary
to see your power and glory.
For your love is better than life;
my lips shall ever praise you!"
- Psalm 63: 2-4I

1 comment: