Monday, January 24, 2011

Cosmo Critique - Segment 1



I picked this little number up at the supermarket the other day for a little research. No, really. Just like when I was preparing my junior speech in high school; we were supposed to speak on a defining quality of America. I chose the decay of morals, so when my dad called that day and asked if I need anything from the store, I asked him for a cosmopolitan magazine. His response: "Young lady there is no way in hell I am getting that magazine for you." I immediately explained that it was for school. He replied, "Yeah, like I'm going to fall for that." (Eventually he believed me.)

Needless to say, I was very embarrassed to purchase this. I can't even begin to imagine how mortified my dad was when I asked him for one five years ago. What I would like to do, though, is to detail the - ahem - words of wisdom that this lovely little booklet spouts. I have a great deal of commentary and several tasks to accomplish this week, so I will be doing this in segments. Here's the first one:

First of all, the main title is "Bad Girl Sex: 75 Very Naughty Moves to Try on a Man". Okay, notice that it says, "A man", not "THE man"; as in, THE one you're supposed to be sharing the rest of your life with (because he's already you're spouse, of course). Instead, Cosmo is subtly (okay, not so subtly) promoting "casual" sex with random people. Which makes sense of course. Who could forget the gospel where Jesus told all the women, "You are made for lust, and are meant to be used by countless men as physical objects to satisfy their selfish sexual desires."

Oh, wait. Jesus didn't say that, Satan did. Whoops, my bad.

This is what the Bible - you know, the word of God - says: "For God did not call us to impurity but to holiness." - 1 Thessalonians 4:7.

So then why does Cosmo offer such a monumentally different message, one that guarantees that if we indulge our lusts and seek sexual pleasure for the mere sake of the physical enjoyment, we will surely be happy?

I think I have the answer: because it's lying. And do not forget who is the father of lies.

This title offers another outright blasphemy: "Bad Girl Sex". If we have learned anything from John Paul II's Theology of the Body, it's that the words "bad" and "sex" don't belong together (nor do the words "love" and "lust", yet Cosmo has a section title that combines these two contradictory realities as though they are synonymous). Sex is a profound GOOD. The majority of the world merely uses it in a bad way; and no wonder, if Cosmopolitan is the popular female literature of our age.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. You go girl! Can't wait to read the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad! Thanks Ema <3 you are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete